These lesson plans use Charlotte Mason’s methods of using living books, oral and written narration, copywork, and dictation. We have chosen a topic to study and developed lesson plans with quality living books (alot of them found free online) centered around the topic. Daily lessons have children doing narration and copywork with dictation at the end of the week using the given piece of copywork. We have added lots and lots of fun hands-on activities to do outside, inside, and on the computer. There are even suggested ways to include nature study and journaling into your study. There is so much in these units, you will be able to use these lesson plans for years.
These units can be followed exactly as written or customized by replacing portions of the day’s lessons with lists of options to choose from. Everything you need to follow Charlotte Mason’s methods are included in these units. It’s all there, ready for you to pick up and use. No more searching and gathering ideas, resources, and materials to plan your studies. All you have to do is locate the reading material we have recommended (alot of the time the reading material is a free online book written in Charlotte Mason living book style) or choose one you wish to use, and you are all ready to go.
Here is what you get in this 82 page unit with suggestions for preschool through high school:
- Lists of Living Book suggestions that can be found free online,(these are the ones I have used in my lesson plans I have done for you), the library, or purchased through an online store like Amazon. In these economically challenging times, I have tried to make this a complete unit study where you do not have to purchase anything else unless you want to – all of the materials can be found for free.
- These Living Book titles include Charlotte Mason style literature, quality non-fiction resources, poetry selections and anthologies, and activity books. A brief description is also included for each title with a suggested age range.
- 4 Weeks of daily lesson plans for you to follow (does not include math and history and is not a complete English course)
- Each day contains A Reading Selection from Charlotte Mason style literature from which your child can orally narrate and write down on the provided notebooking pages. There are even sections in the unit that give you direction and suggestions on how to use Ms. Mason’s methods with the lesson plan for your younger, middle, and upper children.
- Each daily lesson plan is divided into two separate plans, one for elementary and one for middle and high school that overlap in places for group activities. You can pick and choose what you want each of your children to do individually or as a whole family. I have just given you options to choose from to allow older children to explore and learn independently at times when it is most suitable. This gives you the time to sit and read with the younger children, while the older children are going into the subject matter in a greater depth, but still allowing everyone to work and learn together at times.
- 22 Copywork selections are provided, consisting of more simple ones for the younger children and longer and more complex ones for the older children – paragraphs from suggested living book titles and poetry.
- 16 different notebooking pages – all different, some labeled and decorated, some unlabeled, some specifically for taking on a nature walk to document your day.
- Lists of online resources and links to online activities, movie clips, activity ideas, manipulatives, insect flash cards from simple to entomological classification, cute preschool crafts and more hands-on crafts for the older children, quality on-line resource information in a fun format and also technical information for the older children including how insects affect their daily lives and our agriculture, science, and medicine.
- Lists of Hands-on activity suggestions for you to do with simple materials with your children in a science experiment format, just have fun applying what we know format, full lapbooks, or get outdoors and explore. You’ll be amazed at what you can find yourself doing and enjoying bugs!
- Each piece of copywork for that week’s lesson comes with a daily focus skill on either a grammar application for them to take notice while doing their copywork, vocabulary or spelling word review, or a literary element discussion, or a combination of these. You will be so happy to see your child recognizing these skills in good writing as they copy these pieces everyday in preparation for dictation at the end of the week.
- There is a suggested activity to do after the reading, narrating, and copywork is completed. You can choose to do the activity or skip it if you don’t have time, save it for another day for another activity you wish to skip, or replace it with a whole new one from our Activity Suggestions list.
- At the end of the week there is a nature study type activity, most outside, some inside in case the weather does not want to cooperate. You’ll find yourself virtually dissecting an insect or skimming a pond and examining insects before they morph into something that looks like a totally different bug. Nature Journal pages are provided to take with you on some of your outings for a more relaxed and exploratory experience.
- We have provided the opportunity to include a short poetry study in this unit. From reading some aloud or examining some literary elements in poetry to learning how to write a specific form of poetry and combining it with an art project.
- There are a few writing suggestions included in the lesson plans to practice writing a fable based on the insect theme, and modeling and writing a personal narrative.
This unit study is designed to allow you to use the daily lesson plans as they are, use some parts and not others, move parts around if you want, or exchange pieces that are in the plan with other ideas you like from the lists provided for you. It’s that EASY. You get to customize your plans to fit your child’s needs.
Please let us know how you like the ebook after your purchase. We are eager to hear your thoughts! If you know anyone else that may be interested please share our website. Thanks!